Random Pool Facts
To end this series of lessons, we thought you might like to win some bets with some great Australian pool facts confirming the importance of the pools as an iconic and essential part of Australian culture.
1. Australia builds more domestic swimming pools (per capita) than any other country in the world.
2. Market research firm Roy Morgan says swimming pool ownership is on the rise in Australia. According to its latest report, nearly 13% of the total population (2.7 million) lives in a home with a swimming pool. That's up 1% since the last study was conducted in 2015.
3. Regional Queensland has the highest count, with 20% of Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Bundaberg, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns residents living in a home with a swimming pool. Trailing slightly behind, those figures decrease to 19% for Perth, 18% for Brisbane and 15% for Sydney. Only 9% of Melbourne and Adelaide residents can boast a pool, with Hobart trailing behind at just 4%.
4. Since the Olympics started, Australia has won more medals in Swimming (188) than in any other sport (60 Gold, 64 Silver and 64 Bronze). The next closest is Athletics with a total of 73.
5. Our most successful Olympian (in medal terms) is Ian Thorpe with 9 medals (5 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze).
6. Swimming is the 3rd top physical activity participated in by Australians (Walking for Exercise 1st, Fitness/Gym 2nd).
7. Australia has 47 Olympic-size swimming pools.
8. Swimming is one of the best ways to keep fit. It strengthens lungs, and can exercise almost all of your body. It is also recommended for people who are recovering from injuries as it is has low impact levels.
9. An hour of vigorous swimming will burn up to 650 calories. It burns off more calories than walking or biking.
10. Bondi Icebergs was voted as the best public pool in Australia.
11. Swimming was a popular activity in sea baths on Sydney Harbour from about 1830, but men and women were not allowed to swim in the pool at the same time.
Stay updated with the latest news and offers from Active Pool Supplies
Sign up for our newsletter: